Pages

Wednesday 23 August 2017

Wheelchair Basketball - R14

  • Explain the physical activity you participated in.
The activity we participated in was Wheelchair Basketball. Wheelchair Basketball is a basketball but in a wheelchair. Wheelchair Basketball is a professional sport played in the Paralympics, so it was a good opportunity to try out a sport that is not common for everyday lives.
  • What level of effort and engagement were you participating at during today’s physical activity? Why? (Grade yourself NA, A or M and refer to marking criteria)
I give myself a merit because I was enjoying the game and the presence of the professional players, I enhanced the experience of my team mates by wanting to sub with them and give them a turn, I seeked improvement by practising how to do it in depth and not mucking around and I did my best due to it being a new sport.
  • What were three factors which influenced your participation? (Choose from the list below, and put a + or - beside the three factors to show whether it positively or negatively influenced your participation).
Challenge +, Previous Experiences -, Sense of Achievement +
  • Explain HOW these factors affected your participation (with specific examples)
Challenge affected my participation in a positive way because it was a totally new sport to learn. Due to Wheelchair Basketball being completely different than regular basketball, this made me use different parts of my body to do certain things, which was unusual. This was a challenge, especially being used to running around the court, instead of pushing myself around the court. An example was when it was my teams ball but the ball was thrown too hard, therefore made me push harder to get the ball before the opposition. If it was a normal game, it would've been easier for me to get the ball.
Previous Experiences affected my participation in a negative way because I was unable to pick up skills that I already learnt. The only skills that I had, was to dribble, pass, shoot and defend. Due to me not having skills on Wheelchair Basketball, this made me feel like a 10 year old learning how to play Basketball, which made me want to not play to my best. An example was when I learnt how to pick up the ball, it was too hard, so I picked up the ball the wrong way.
Sense of Achievement affected my participation in a positive way because it was good aiming for a goal I had put in my head. That goal was to score a goal at mid-range. Due to the goal constantly being in my head, it made me eager to get the ball and help my team out. An example was when the ball was with my team mate, he passed the ball to me, I shot the ball and got it in. I am Stephen Curry.
  • How could you increase your (or your peers) participation in this activity in the future?
Something I would do to improve my participation is maybe study more about wheelchair basketball. This I would know more about why and how it is played, therefore making my mentally but not physically prepared for the game.

0 comments:

Post a Comment